Help! I Can't Keep Spiders Out Of My Lee County Home!
January 15, 2022 - Spiders
There is something to be said about how scary spiders are. These eight-legged, multi-eyed arachnids were not made spooky by TV and movies, they were always unsettling to look at. The question is, why do these pests invade homes in our area? Also, are there things you can be doing to keep them out? Here is what you need to know about spiders and the reasons you are having trouble keeping them out of your Lee County home.
Why Do Spiders Invade Homes?
Spiders are self-serving creatures. When looking for places to live, they seek out locations that provide them with easy hunting opportunities and comfortable places to hide. Your home might provide creepy spiders with these things by having trouble with pests and being cluttered. More specifically, spiders are more likely to invade homes that are crawling with insects like ants, cockroaches, and silverfish; arthropods like centipedes; and other arachnids like spiders. As for hiding spaces, spiders love cluttered living areas, storage rooms with lots of cracks and crevices, and secluded places where pests hide, such as basements.
Why Destroying Webs Isn’t Enough To Control Spiders
There are two main reasons why destroying spider webs is not a reliable way to deal with Florida spiders. The first is that most spiders do not stay on the webs they build. They hide on the edges of it where they can sense vibrations if a bug flies into it. If you knock their web down, they are likely to just rebuild nearby. The second reason web elimination doesn’t eliminate spiders is that many spiders hunt from the ground and do not build webs at all. Many invasive species of spiders in our area are ground spiders, like wolf spiders. These pests are typically harder to identify and are more likely to catch homeowners off guard with their presence.
Which Methods Work To Deter Spiders?
When it comes to preventing spiders from invading your home, there are two strategies that work better than the rest. The first is addressing factors that attract pests. The second is making sure your home’s exterior is properly sealed. Here are some practical ways to do these things for your Lee County home.
- Use a caulking gun to seal off holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation
- Make sure your window/door screens are rip/tear-free.
- Invest in door sweeps to protect your exterior doors.
- Make sure all of your windows/doors are protected with weatherstripping.
- Address moisture build-up in and around your home.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures.
- Clean out your gutters and make sure they are properly channeling water away from your home’s exterior.
- Keep your living areas clean and tidy.
- Clean out your trash bins as they get dirty and make sure they have tight-fitting lids.
- Avoid feeding your pets outdoors and wash out their bowls after they finish a meal.
- Organize your storage areas.
The Benefits Of Professional Spider Control
When it comes to keeping spiders out of your Lee County home, there is no better solution than to trust a professional pest control provider. To make sure you are treated right and do not break the bank while doing this, check out the experts at A Bug’s Life Pest Managment Inc. We work hard to provide premium pest control services and top-tier customer service to residents in our area. If you need help identifying, eliminating, or preventing invasive spiders, we are your best choice for the job.